Wednesday, November 28, 2007

New hearing aids

A fortnight ago we went to The Hearing Centre in Lymington to have my hearing tested again. Apparently it has deteriorated a little and my present aids had to be tweaked a bit. However, we were told that some new Oticon aids were on the market now with the latest technology and I could try them if I liked. What an invitation! They cost about £4500 though - a lot of money.

A week later I went down to have them fitted with my own shells. I could try them for 2 weeks to see if they are a big improvement on the old ones.

That evening we did the Christmas Fair in Winchester and I did find it difficult to cope with all the loud noises. It was difficult to hear individuals speaking against the loud background noise.



On the Friday we went to Marwell Zoo and they were ok - although I had to turn down the volume I could hear individual speech much better but that was not against background noise.

On Sunday we went to the Anvil to hear the RAF band. I was terribly disappointed. I couldn't hear the compere really, and the aids just carried on the ringing sound after the instrument had finished!

Yesterday we went back to The Hearing Centre and Martyn Bowles changed the setting of the aids making them much more comfortable to use. It made a huge difference. My dear husband has now complained that he can't swear quietly under his breath without my hearing it! He says he can't get away with anything! So I'm very pleased. But it is going to cost me.....

No comments: